View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Where do I go with this? 
LIOR

Post Where do I go with this?
It has been reported in the news that President Obama completed the census form for his family. He checked African American for each. That is only true for the women and perhaps the children. He is of mixed ancestry.

When I asked the Census Bureau about lying they said:

According to Title 13, Chapter 7, Subtitle 2, anyone who willfully gives an answer that is false could be fined up to $500.

Some people I've spoken to have said things like 'he considers himself A/A' and 'it's not a big deal'.

Well the question is not what do you want to be, feel like, prefer, etc. it's about what you are.
I think that the President of the US should set an example for the people he leads, and tell the truth on a Federal submission.

The Census Bureau has penalties for the rest of us. How do we get them applied to the PotUS :?:

Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Post Re: Where do I go with this?
I have a strong belief that 1st generation, MAYBE some second generation IMMIGRANTS are the ONLY one's to be able to check off a box within said races.

Irish-american
African-american
Mexican-american
Etc.

By time you get "interacial marriages", as simple as Irish/Italian - offspring simply should become classified as American.

My 2 cents

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:45 pm
HV4W

jsongy wrote:
By time you get "interacial marriages", as simple as Irish/Italian...
Irish and Italian are not races, they are nationalities, both Caucasian race. The census question is there because we have laws effecting specific races and the government needs to know the distribution of the races to that end. Our society sees only what they consider the lowest point. To the average full Caucasian, a half Black/White person is Black, a half Hispanic/White is Hispanic, a Black/Hispanic as a Black, a half Asian/White is Asian. Federal law actually considers Hispanic as an ethnic group, not a race, so Hispanic is not offered on the census form under race, but it is asked later in another form of question. Many nationalities have physical characteristics that easily identify them as their nationality, Germans, Italians, Scandinavians, all have a 'look' we recognize, just as Hispanics. I tend to agree that Hispanic is an ethnic group, not a race.

Ex-HV4W Officer/Member
Ex-NOVA Vice Chairperson and Trailfest Event Coordinator 2008/2009/2010

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:27 pm
LIOR

Here is the question:
Quote:
9. What is Person 1's race ? Mark X one or more boxes.

There are 12 boxes following 'White' and 'Black, African Am., or Negro' - both of which Obama should have checked. He is as white as he is black. This is not a matter of perception or preference.

As to preference, his response is an insult to other people of mixed heritage. You are what you are, don't hide it. The belief that part black is all black is a throwback to the days of categorizing people as octoroons. (1/2 = Mulatto, 1/4 = Quadroon, 1/8 = Octoroon) Those terms are not used in the modern age.

There are penalties for lying on the form. This is the important point. The penalty should be applied fairly. If we are subject to it, he should be also.

As to we're all Americans, OK, but that's not part of the official document. Which the leader of the free world should have answered truthfully.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:33 pm

JeeperDon wrote:
jsongy wrote:
By time you get "interacial marriages", as simple as Irish/Italian...
Irish and Italian are not races, they are nationalities, both Caucasian race. The census question is there because we have laws effecting specific races and the government needs to know the distribution of the races to that end. Our society sees only what they consider the lowest point. To the average full Caucasian, a half Black/White person is Black, a half Hispanic/White is Hispanic, a Black/Hispanic as a Black, a half Asian/White is Asian. Federal law actually considers Hispanic as an ethnic group, not a race, so Hispanic is not offered on the census form under race, but it is asked later in another form of question. Many nationalities have physical characteristics that easily identify them as their nationality, Germans, Italians, Scandinavians, all have a 'look' we recognize, just as Hispanics. I tend to agree that Hispanic is an ethnic group, not a race.

So that means that Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. should not be asked to specify, other than - Asian... Correct?

Hey Don, then tell the spanish -speaking community to speak english - as they are not a race... only ethnicity! That makes them caucasian?

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:10 pm

howler4x4 wrote:
As to we're all Americans, OK, but that's not part of the official document. Which the leader of the free world should have answered truthfully.

As he is a politician, you expected the truth?

Human is a race

Seeing that the worlds oldest skeletal finds have all been in Africa, perhaps we should ALL be checking off that box... :shifty:

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]