View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Stick welding 
E4W

Post Stick welding
does anyone know about this? ive heard something about using a couple batteries and a stick welder to fix broken stuff on trail....where can i find the stick welder and whats it good for?

member E4W

Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:48 pm
JT4x4

Post Re: Stick welding
http://www.ehow.com/how_4857206_spot-we ... ttery.html

i have seen videos. and if you can weld then it's the same basic principle (welding wise). just follow the set up and weld away. as for getting everything you need you could go to tractor abco, supply, and most popular hard ware stores should have everything you need to get you off the trail. i was looking into a portable mig welder instead. but it's up to each owns preference on how you like to weld. i like my (mig 140v).

happy shopping.

Hot-Rod

BTC =Try to leave with out a scratch, lol.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 pm
E4W

i dont know how to weld really just yet but i want to learn so where is a good place to start? as for stick vs. mig i was just toying w. the notion of onboard welding setup of some sort cause when i break , i break something major most of the time.....i just want to be able to fix it and keep wheeling!

member E4W

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 pm
JT4x4

a good place to start, is at a buddys place that has a welder. grab some scrap steel and just get familiar/comfortable with the set up. if that is ok with them of course. it will take a while or you could pick it right up. time will tell.

after a few tries, gradually vary the steel sizes. and the best way to test if your weld is going to hold is with a sledge hammer. give it a few whacks. get your beads strong and your metal penetration sufficient then only you know if you'll be comfortable with your welds holding up on the trail. then of course you wont need to test the welds with the hammer, you'll just know.

but if your not having fun or dont like it, dont do it. your welds will get sloppy and weak.

:thumbs:

BTC =Try to leave with out a scratch, lol.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:45 pm
LIOR

BILL wrote:
i dont know how to weld really just yet but i want to learn so where is a good place to start? as for stick vs. mig i was just toying w. the notion of onboard welding setup of some sort cause when i break , i break something major most of the time.....i just want to be able to fix it and keep wheeling!

Just to chime in, It would also be a good idea to beef up your rig while you're OFF the trail (ie. the comfort of your shop/garage/driveway/street) based on your wheeling tendencies and habits, I've been a victim of under-built or simply sub-par components either for lack of experience or of common sense, and I wished they'd been built stronger to begin with. Anyway, my $.02

Ed

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:42 pm
E4W

Black&blue wrote:
BILL wrote:

Just to chime in, It would also be a good idea to beef up your rig while you're OFF the trail (ie. the comfort of your shop/garage/driveway/street) based on your wheeling tendencies and habits, I've been a victim of under-built or simply sub-par components either for lack of experience or of common sense, and I wished they'd been built stronger to begin with. Anyway, my $.02

Ed

i agree completely! i usually go through my junk with a fine tooth comb before every run and i try to upgrade something everytime just for the sake of making the rig more capable, but even then still something breaks sometimes. it seems the more i upgrade,the harder obstacles i try and therefore more breakage.i just want this more or less for an insurance policy.and when i break it is usually something easy to fix like a axleshaft or u joint.i know what my weak links are and i plan accordingly when i go out so that way if something breaks,i can just fix it and move on....

member E4W

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:13 am
LIOR

Should look into ReadyWelders. 12v/24v on-board welders, capable of 1/4"-3/4" with the right setup. Maybe get a cheapo 120v shop welder and start paracticing on scrap metal. Practice by changing the settings and seeing what the outcome is. What I've been doing with my Lincoln Weld-Pack 100. My beads are getting stronger and prettier each time I practice.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:35 am
E4W

I've been welding a long time and I still have lots of questions. I always end up at the same place, ABCO. The one in South Windsor, CT has a great group of guys that always take time to answer my questions and then some. I bought a stick welder(arc welder) there many years ago and was happy with the miller product. A few years ago when I wanted a MIG setup I went back. They take the time to set up a machine and go through it with you, showing you the basics, and showing you how it's done. They'll let you practice in their shop until all of your questions are answered. You might pay a little more and then again you might not, but the service and knowledge you can get from a place like ABCO is worth something. Like wheeling, there are forums for welders. They start up a link much like this one and answer questions about the most basic of welding topics to more technical jobs. JP magazine ran an article a few years ago they may have it online about what you need to set up a battery operated stick weld.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]