View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Logs in Muddy Rut 
E4W

Post Logs in Muddy Rut
What's your take on placing logs in the deep ruts of a muddy trail? If you're a brave soul, try giving your opinion before reading all of the responses that might be posted below. I am not an authority on logs in deeply rutted trails, but too have an opinion on the subject. I haven't run into this in a long time because the group I wheel with refrain from using this technique to assist a no longer forward moving vehicle. One factor might be that I wheel with other guys (assistance), and most everyone has a winch. I can't recall being in the woods with only one other guy (or girl) without other options that would lead me to loading the ruts with logs in order to get us off the trail before morning in a long long time; I might use the term "desperate" here. Have you ever received a call from a buddy at 2 or 3 or 4 in the morning "we've been out here all night and I wouldn't have called you but I have to be at work in a few hours". The last time I got one of these calls from a nephew, I recall seeing logs in the ruts when I got there, along with the father of one of the other boys who came to the rescue without a rig (not happy); just saying. We'll talk about stacking rocks in another post as I think it's unrelated to the "logs in a muddy rut" topic. Maybe safety is a concern or maybe trail preservation is your issue or maybe this has worked for you and you feel its a great idea that you endorse. Share your thoughts so we can all "learn" from our collective wisdom. :geek:

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:45 am
LIOR

Post Re: Logs in Muddy Rut
Do whatever you need to do, just make damn sure you return the trail to the condition it was in before you arrived. :thumbs:
Tire tracks on trail are OK.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:55 am
E4W

Post Re: Logs in Muddy Rut
Sounds good. Have you EVER seen someone dig a log out of a rut after they got unstuck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]