View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
RSG 
E4W

Post RSG
I'm hearing through the grapevine that Rattle Snake Gutter may be getting closed.

I had heard a few months ago that the Cowls were being heavily pressured by the state to close their lands to OHV (and our) use.
Someone is reporting (over on Jeep forum) that it will be closed soon. DCR is taking over the property or something like that. I know that the Cowls were hurting financially, well their logging biz wasn't doing all that great at least.
Not sure. Someone may want to check on it for sure as it would take yet another trail (actually, two or three depending on how you look at it) off the ever shrinking list.

Talk soon,

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:25 pm
E4W

Post Re: RSG
yeah it got shut downfor good due to some a-holes from a club called massdriven...they were cutting knocking over trees and running up the stream....heres the signup on their forum http://www.massdriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35404
and there was something about it on jeepforum,too....this is what i cant seem to figure out why people do dumb things like this....unbelieveable ANOTHER great trail that i only wheeled once got shut down due to idiocy....and what amazing is people continue to post up there little adventures despite knowing the consequences....Dave i truly understand now what you meant......i dont blame you one bit either.... :brickwall:

member E4W

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:18 pm
E4W

this was posted in masskrawlers site:

Im following a thread on the NEA site. Looks like the Gutter is closed for good as of today.

I'm quoting the following from JeepForum. A kid from MA that is new to the scene went wheeling for the first time last weekend at RSG. Here is what he said:

". . . I showed up and watched some 35" super swampers plow new trails through the forest, knocking over good sized trees. He also ripped around in the stream and up the stream banks. At one point they were going to cut down a tree with a chain saw, but the rig came unstuck before they did. Winching with no tree guards/protectors. I dont believe anyone had permission to be here either, it was the first trip here for all of them except one. Most of the others treaded lightly. Made me sick, I dont even want to think about wheeling for a while."

A couple other guys from MA responded:

"And thats why its going to be closing."

"I had heard that it was going to be closed. Is that definite or still up in the air?"

the same guy also took about 12 Jeeps to Facing Rock WMA in Ludlow MA on a run last month...

i have a link. The run was led by a gentleman who has since been banned from several clubs and forums for illegal wheelin.

http://www.massdriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35404

the same guy also took about 12 Jeeps to Facing Rock WMA in Ludlow MA on a run last month

I have read today, that the land was officially turned over to the Mass Wildlife and access is no longer granted from the road or from the Cowls Property. This is something that had been in the works for a few years now, but COWLS was not going to turn it over to the WMA for another 2 years. This little stunt caused them to reconsider and do it sooner. This is bad news people. This is a clear case of how a few bad apples trully can spoil a good thing.

This shows the importance of a few things here:
#1, staying on the trail system is very very important. Not even important, but vital to the survival of our sport. If you cant stay on the trail, stay home. If the conditions of the trail, snow/ice/mud whatever, are preventing you from making it, turn around... dont go around. We were all young and stupid once, I know, trust me. I know that sometimes we ended up places we dont belong. But those days are over and its caused ill effects on our sport.

#2, The need for private land. Thats the only future this sport has. About 5 years ago when I got into the clubs and all this, there are 6-8 public trails that we were allowed to run. All in the state of Mass, and all fun to run. Yesterday, there was only 3! No kidding... 3! Now today, there are 2!

#3, Responsible wheeling! We have a min requirement for vehicles to go on a trail run. This prevents people from showing up with chains as a tree saver. And wanting to cut down trees to make it easier to get a vehicle unstuck. That jeep was broke even further by these retards when they strapped a chain to it, and slammed the skinny pedal. From what I am told, him and his Jeep were left behind after it broke....

member E4W

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 pm
E4W

As important as all those things listed above are (and they are all important), if people want to KEEP roads/land open and available, they need to be PROACTIVE not REactive.
Although clean ups and food drives and all give NOVA/NEA and the clubs 15 mins of fame, they don't really, officially let the gov't know that organized 4 Wheelers exist.

Letters need to be written, every month and not just a couple.. but region wide, there should be at least 50 letters each month flowing into each state capitol. Thats 50 into CT, 50 each month into MA, RI, etc.
Constant bombardment is what it will take for them to actually believe that organized 4WD enthusiasts are indeed corporal beings.
Once they are inviting the community into meetings and such can anyone think we've even come close to being recognized.

AND... obviously... private lands are NOT a sanctuary.
They will take the easily targeted public lands and roads first and then go after the private lands. Making 4WD/OHV use illegal even on private lands... much like starting a fire in your yard or taking down a beaver dam on your own land (in MA) is illegal. You can't build any kind of building on your own land w/o a permit, whether you own 2 acres or 200.
It won't be long before green whackos are making proposals to limit any kind of motorized use on private land. They actually have in PA and in some cases the towns passed the ordinances, in others, people packed the meetings and the town officials "saw the error of their ways" and did not pass them.

Being reactive.. it won't be long before this community loses most of the land it currently has for use.
Enjoy it all while you can... and find another hobby that you can enjoy with less hassle so you have something to fall to when it does happen.

Talk soon,

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:32 pm
E4W

notice how some of them were dumb enough to put there liscence plates in the pics? genius.....

member E4W

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:02 am
JT4x4

The word vigilante keeps popping into my thoughts.....
:naughty:

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 am
LIOR

Swell, now we have pics of the a-holes who give us a bad name.

It does not appear that the trail is closed yet. Soon perhaps, but not yet.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:31 pm
E4W

howler4x4 wrote:
It does not appear that the trail is closed yet. Soon perhaps, but not yet.

Correct.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:08 pm
E4W

http://www.massdriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36036

guess its not closed quite yet as i thought,but its going to be soon...huh?this guy is trying to save his hide i guess

member E4W

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:48 am
E4W

It is too bad, I really liked gutter, great scenery, water crossings, ledges, rocks and some sweet trail runs :brickwall:

Tom Orsini
eastern4wheelers

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next