View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Buying Parts at the Dealer 
E4W

Post Buying Parts at the Dealer
I needed a U-Joint, simple enough, so off I go to NAPA. They had some made in China brand and after getting the opinion f superior axle the other day on the phone when they were good enough to point out they would give me a new axle shaft under warranty but I shouldn’t put a cheap U-joint in it as this would void my 10 year warranty. If the replacement U-joint doesn’t have a full c-clip and comes off they wouldn’t cover it. So I passed on the made in China joint and figured I'd pick up a Dana U-joint at the dealer. I called and I gave "I need a U-joint for a front Dana-30 axle shaft off of my 01- Wrangler", you can't call it a TJ because that might throw them off. I know I'm going to have to give more information but I always start off with what I think is important. I’m always polite enough to give it but I’m always wondering why they need to know that I have I-6 and antilock brakes in order to get the latch for the center console. Anyway. NOT today. I need to know the VIN number to get the U-joint. Apparently the only way for the parts guy to get a u-joint for a dana-30 front axle is to know the vin number. The VIN number I ask? Really? “no I don’t have the VIN number”. Sorry we need the VIN number to look it up. Really? I didn’t have the heart to ask a second time. I paused. I didn’t know what to say next. Really? I said thanks and told the guy I’d call back. Oh wait by the way how much for the joint and he comes back with $75. Now I’m really shocked. I have lost total confidence in him that he can’t look up a part without my vin( probably not his fault, somebody in the IT department at Chrysler thought it was a good idea and in order to get into the system he has to follow the prompts, cheaper labor if people don’t have to think) and now he doesn’t know what a U-Joint is, Ha $75. He must be looking at the wrong part. How does he know it’s $75 dollars if he can’t look it up? I figure it’s a guess, and that’s my own fault for asking how much a part is that he can’t look up. Thank you very much I told him and let him get back to work.
I guess I wasn’t totally convinced the guy knew what he was doing I called another Jeep dealer in the area. Same story, only this guy sounded like he’s been around a while and could have gotten the U-joint off of the shelf without looking it up. Not the case . He asked “what’s the last 8 of your vin?” Really? This time I was prepared as I was home and had already written it down. Quick he was. Yeah I have a few in stock, they’re $100 each. What? What are they made out of I asked him. Are they Dana I asked. Yes. He chuckled, They sell them at NAPA for $18. I shared my story and thanked him very much.
I wasn’t paying $100 for a Dana U-joint. The poor Soccer moms that have to pay that markup. That’s a crime.
There’s a small 4x4 shop in my area, can I mention names? Do I get a kickback? Smith’s in Manchester. They should get them in within the next day or two and he sells them for about $18 or so. Yup, Dana with the full c-clips. SOLD. I guess I‘ll just have to wait a few days.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:41 pm
LIOR

Post Re: Buying Parts at the Dealer
A Spicer u-joint is a Spicer u-joint. And yes, they are $75-$100 a piece from the dealer.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:44 am
HV4W

Post Re: Buying Parts at the Dealer
Dealers really make more money selling parts and service then they do selling cars..... :brickwall:

Glad to see you got it local but if you can't, I usually go here for Driveshaft and U-joint parts: http://www.actionmachineinc.com/

They're in Indiana but they usually have it in stock and ship same day.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]