View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Future Off-Highway Vehicle Park in PA 
LIOR

Post Future Off-Highway Vehicle Park in PA
info@nora-usa.com said:
Quote:
"You just don't see this everyday" says Pearse Umlauf, Founder & CEO of the National Off-Road Association. "We see many trails being closed across the United States, most recently the Upper Tellico OHV area, but it's very rare to see new trails being open".

Northumberland County located in central Pennsylvania has decided to do just that; open over 6,000 acres of old coal mining land to the public for the intended use of off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreation.

"The Northumberland County Commissioners deserve a thumbs-up and our full support on this project", says Off-Road Hall of Famer, Mark A. Smith and Founder of Jeep Jamboree USA. "Years ago in California, El Dorado County officials got involved with keeping the Rubicon Trail open and today it generates an estimated 30 million into the local community. Now that's an investment worth making".

Barry Yorwarth a local resident of Northumberland County spearheaded this idea a few years ago. He has been working closely with county officials to help them make this project a reality. "I got the idea back in 2005 when I was the co-pilot for Tom Lawlor at the Top Truck Challenge in Hollister Hills, CA", says Yorwarth, "I said to myself; we've got some land like this back in Pennsylvania, why can't we do something like this?". Barry's dad bought him his first Jeep (CJ-5) when he was just 13 years old. Today Barry owns (5) Unimogs and a few Jeeps. "The park is designed to be open for all motorized users not just full-size vehicles, everyone's welcome. The county is planning to have onsite camping as well as parking for RV's".

"It's great to see the County Commissioners of Northumberland take such a proactive leap forward" states Pearse Umlauf. "The local communities and residents will benefit tremendously from the development of this park. The park is an economic "center of commerce" for local businesses not to mention the potential jobs it'll create. OHV enthusiasts from across the United States will flock to this new park just for the opportunity to run new trails. This park will allow individuals to recreate in a safe, dedicated environment."

The National Off-Road Association will keep you up-to-date on any news and developments on this new OHV Park. Stay tuned.

National Off Road Association | 2776 Sourdough Flat Georgetown, CA 95634 | (530) 333-1487 | Fax (530) 333-4682

Northumberland County is slightly NW of Rausch Creek

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:28 pm
E4W

Post Re: Future Off-Highway Vehicle Park in PA
I'm ready! I have a few open weekends this summer to show my support.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 pm
E4W

will be out there sunday with a couple of the guys who started the project.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
E4W

web site is up

http://www.ohv.norrycopa.net

Mon May 03, 2010 7:29 am
Profile WWW
HV4W

From my home area, this is about the same distance as to Rausch, which is fine.

Ex-HV4W Officer/Member
Ex-NOVA Vice Chairperson and Trailfest Event Coordinator 2008/2009/2010

Mon May 03, 2010 9:29 am
E4W

opening soon. Is there date yet in which we can go check it out?

Mon May 03, 2010 3:06 pm
LIOR

From http://www.ohv.norrycopa.net
Quote:
When is the park going to open?
We really are not sure. Right now we are in the planning phase of the park. That phase is expected to commence by the end of 2010. That does not mean the park will open then, that just means we will have a plan at the end of 2010. After that we will have an action plan to begin construction.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:12 am
HV4W

The FAQ at the site says definitely not open in 2010, and no time commitment after that either. It's a great idea and plan, but with all the town gov's involved, I wouldn't plan on loading trailers for there any time soon.

Ex-HV4W Officer/Member
Ex-NOVA Vice Chairperson and Trailfest Event Coordinator 2008/2009/2010

Tue May 04, 2010 9:29 am
E4W

off loading trailers will take place for a demo weekend in Aug. The date is still TBA but the park will have a open guided tour for a weekend. We will inviting clubs up and down the EC just to give a little taste.

Bid's will be opened in the next few weeks for camp ground and other facilities. With plans on ground breaking being early spring of 2011. I will take more pic when i go back in 2 weeks.

Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
LIOR

I'll be there. 2.5 hours from home and my wife's parents live in Shamokin.

Fri May 21, 2010 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next